Monday, September 24, 2012



Still drying produce for winter.  Didn't realize how obsessive compulsive I was until I took this picture of onion slices on the drying rack.  I think its pretty.  Our garden is pretty much gone since the two nights of frost we got so these large onions are from Costco.  We bought a 10# bag and I've just about got all of them processed.

The other dryer (we have two) is full of our jalapeno peppers.  There's still the big bowl of them in the outside fridge I haven't figured out what to do with.  Because the peppers are so fat it takes too long and ties up my dryer from doing other foods.  Maybe next time I can slice them up.

A good friend sent me a couple of good recipes I just might have to try with some of those peppers.  I'd love to make some jalapeno or serano jelly.

I've had a young man over who is splitting our firewood for this coming winter.  Its amazing what a young and strong guy can accomplish.  I wouldn't even attempt any more.  But we can stack it if need be in the sheltered car port next to the house.  It will remain dry and close to the back door even when the snow falls and the wind blows.  Me too, I don't have to go out in the elements to retrieve it.  But hopefully, with out new forced-air furnace we will only have to use our wood stove a couple of times rather than every day, all day long like we usually do.

Lovin' that!

No comments: